Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Now or Never

For several years, I've had a particular software product idea in mind, but always figured it would be one of those things where you're 50 years old and go, "Yep, that was a really good idea. Someone could have taken that idea and built a good solid product out of it and probably have gotten rich. Yep, too bad no one did it." Man, that would really suck if that was me when I turn 50. Well, it turns out that no one else has run with this idea, and the market window is still open, but closing. I guess it's now or never, and I decided to take a chance and go for it. So, I recently quit from JetBrains and I'm now working out of my apartment on the new product. (I owe at least some inspiration to Paul Graham's essays on startups.)

Working at JetBrains was great and I take away a better understanding of what it takes to make a great software product. It was great to work with such talented people, and to participate in the IntelliJ community with all it's fantastic people. I'll still be participating, just in a different way, and maybe a little less often. And I'll always be a fan of JetBrains and its products.

It's funny, almost every single person I tell about this has the exact same question, "So, can you say what product you're building, or is it a secret?" I think the whole 'stealth mode' thing is bogus. If your startup idea is so easy to copy that you have to keep it a secret, then I think you're in for a rough ride with the competition. I think it's much more sensible to refine your 'pitch' with people who are curious, but don't really care one way or the other. On the other hand, this blog is quite public, so revealing too much could alert the real competition that they should be wary. On the third hand, if the idea is good enough, the competition is likely to be complacent and scoff at your idea rather than take it seriously. So, with that in mind...

The product is a software tool for pharmaceutical companies to build dynamic sales presentations with. Kind of like a cross between Powerpoint and Excel. There, that should appease the casually curious without giving away our 'secret sauce'. :-)

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! Are you going to keep blogging about the experience of going out on your own? I think there are a lot of people out there who probably would like to do what you have done, but don't have the guts to do it.

November 09, 2005 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure you're not just doing this as an excuse to play with Ruby? :P

November 09, 2005 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob Harwood, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on work at home choices when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for work at home choices. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about work at home choices at the site above.

November 23, 2005 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob Harwood, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on home base business I somehow ended up on your page. As your site is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about home base business, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

November 23, 2005 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob Harwood...Wow! While I was searching for info on work from home options I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for work from home options. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about work from home options.

November 26, 2005 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob Harwood, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on home base business I somehow ended up on your page. As your site is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about home base business, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

November 27, 2005 3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every so often a post like Now or Never grabs my attention while I'm chasing around for the latest
and greatest info about personal development seminars . And what a pleasure to read someone who apparently not only knows what they're talking about, but apparently also walks the talk. Thank you Rob Harwood . Is there any chance you'll be commenting on personal development seminars at any stage?

December 23, 2005 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know how important this aspect is? I'm sometimes susrprised when I start checking out
things like personal development growth at just how much there is to it all. Exciting stuff!

December 26, 2005 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every so often a post like Now or Never grabs my attention while I'm chasing around for the latest
and greatest info about personal development seminars . And what a pleasure to read someone who apparently not only knows what they're talking about, but apparently also walks the talk. Thank you Rob Harwood . Is there any chance you'll be commenting on personal development seminars at any stage?

December 26, 2005 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,
I just came across your blog about starting your own business and wanted to wish you good luck. You may want to read my own blog from when I was in a similar situation 3 years ago: http://home.comcast.net/~atripp/writing/leavingTellium.html
And today, my site is http://www.jazillian.com

Good Luck,
Andy

February 04, 2006 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. please check out my site subliminal and let me know what you think of it. cheers

February 27, 2006 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for presenting this information, it was entertaining as well as thought provoking and stimulating.

Thank You,

work from home online

March 04, 2006 4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for presenting this information, it was entertaining as well as thought provoking and stimulating.

Thank You,

home job link solutions.com work

March 07, 2006 1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gl with your project

March 13, 2006 10:03 PM  
Blogger SG said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 01, 2006 2:04 AM  
Blogger SG said...

I too am sailing in the same boat..
Quit my job and working on a product basically a new class of vulnerability scanner.
"You may say I am a dreamer. But I am not the only one." --John Lenon
:)

http://geekheads.blogspot.com

April 01, 2006 2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets Blog and get Blogging Everyone!!

If you like you are welcome to come visit my site work at home opportunity

April 02, 2006 7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey just to let you know that yes I am promoting this but if you dont want to save at the pump then dont go to the site but I believe no matter who you are gas is just to expensive.

The goverment is using it and many other huge company's. This is not just some fly by night company or product. This is the real deal.

May 06, 2006 7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a make money work at home site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

July 16, 2006 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my based business home income opportunity site.
Have a great week!

July 20, 2006 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my make money taking surveys site.
Have a great week!

August 12, 2006 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home