Monday, February 14, 2005

Hello in 60 Seconds

Ever see that crappy movie Gone in 60 Seconds, where Nicholas Cage can supposedly steal a car in sixty seconds, but you never actually see him do it? It's all Hollywood camera tricks!

Well, I don't steal cars and couldn't get Angelina Jolie to co-star, but my movie actually shows you how you can write "Hello, World!" in Java in less than sixty seconds, from start to finish, using IntelliJ IDEA. No sneaky camera tricks, either! See it here.

By the way, if you'd like to learn all those handy keyboard shortcuts I use in the screencast, check out the default keymap from IDEA's documentation at JetBrains.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it me or is the video just a blank white screen?

February 14, 2005 4:13 AM  
Blogger Alexey Efimov said...

Nice driving! :)

February 14, 2005 9:06 AM  
Blogger David Stennett said...

w00t, w00t, that rocked! Next Stop, EJB HelloWorld :-) You're not the screencast master!

February 14, 2005 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! You've got a fast machine: the startup time is pretty fast. What do you use to record your movies?

February 14, 2005 9:26 PM  
Blogger Rob Harwood said...

I used Camtasia Studio 2 from TechSmith. Pretty good product, but I found a few bugs.

February 14, 2005 11:01 PM  
Blogger CARFIELD said...

My firefox also return blank to me... but IE is ok

February 15, 2005 5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bad. I loaded up Eclipse and did the same in 27 seconds. Why the amount of time matters I have no idea, but I am game for challenges.

February 15, 2005 5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous, Rob was pretty talkative during the demo, and the real time spent in the creation of the Hello World example was much quicker than 1 minute.

February 15, 2005 7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,

I liked your hello world application. If you could keep this up and build on what you´ve got, I´d be prepared to invest time and effort in learning Java.

Please inform on your next travel dates to Spain so I can arrange a number of live demos.

Dani

February 15, 2005 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

November 29, 2005 3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home